My December Juice Cleanse, Days 1-5

by Courtney on December 7, 2012

Hi, readers! I have begun my next juice cleanse. As you’ve likely read before, I do a 7+ day juice cleanse ever 3 – 6 months. This one is just slightly prior to my 3 month mark, but I’ll be traveling back home for the holidays soon and wanted to get it in before then. The first couple days were quite smooth, with some minor classic detox symptoms, such as energy swings and cravings, that usually subsided after a trusty enema. These days, when I cleanse, I start to feel the “fasters high” very quickly. I have rekindled my obsession with parsley juice this time around, too. I just adore parsley. Cilantro is another favorite, but the smell and taste of parsley makes me want to write poems of herbalicious passion.

Sadly, one of Philadelphia’s prime juice bars and only entirely raw food cafe, Jar Bar, closed unexpectedly about a week ago. (They’re moving to the suburbs). Synchronistically, though, another juice bar opened up almost at the exact same time that they closed, so I went to scope it out with Sarah. By the way, Philadelphia officially needs a new raw food place now! Are you the one to open it? Do it! I’ll visit!

Anyway, we embarked to center city Philadelphia, nearby city hall, and found this awesome place called Ryan Crowns Juice Club inside a complex which mainly catered to a gym, but also a salon and organic fake tanning place and a few others. Loved the decor!

I swiftly selected 2 juices; a lemon ginger one and a green juice, both of which were delicious. Ryan, the owner, was there and made us the juice. A very knowledgeable and friendly guy!

He also generously gifted us some free wheatgrass and some cucumber/watermelon/ginger juice. Some of the best wheatgrass I’ve ever had. It tasted so sweet!

I am so excited that this is here. Philadelphia doesn’t exactly rank high on the list of healthy cities, blatantly illustrated by the packed, out-the-door Philly cheesesteak place we saw on our way to the juice bar. Come on Philly, let’s go! And if you’re in Philadelphia for travel, be sure to visit Ryan’s Juice Club. Best juice in the city. Speaking of, Ryan’s juice bar actually did indeed win “Best Green Juice” in all of Philadelphia by Philadelphia Magazine.

How is your December going? Are you juice cleansing, or perhaps just drinking a lot of juice? How’s it going?

Wanna hear from ya,

Courtney

Ivelise December 11, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Courtney,
Thank you for one of the best health blogs-I frequent your site often for inspiration and fun. I am currently following an 80/10/10 plan with green juices and some steamed veggies. A juice cleanse is definitely in the cards. When I see your photo after your big juice feast, I get excited about the journey! I am also trying to clean up before Christmas time-to avoid the potential pitfalls;) Thanks for the lovely pics of you & Sarah. I’ll stay tuned. Be well & prosper!
Ivelise
Atlanta, GA

Courtney December 25, 2012 at 1:23 am

Thank you so much, Ivelise! I’m honored you enjoy my blog! So glad you like the before and after photos from my Juice Feast. Hope you are enjoying your holiday season! :)

Bella Bloom December 13, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Hi there! Great blog! What are your thoughts regarding fruit juice on a cleanse? I am confused about how much is safe to incorporate… I was trying all veggie and practically threw up every time I had to drink a juice. I started to not drink at all and that lead to me falling off plan after 7 days… :( Back on track now though. What are your thoughts on fresh almond milk while fasting?? :) Thanks! I would be grateful for your input.

Courtney December 25, 2012 at 1:24 am

Thanks, Bella! That’s something that I help my Juice Feasting clients individualize for themselves — there are many factors which may contribute to determining how much fruit juice to use. I never use almond mylk for cleansing; it stops the deepest level of cleansing you can get to.

DB December 13, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I’ve heard of a Raw food restaurant in Germantown via a review on Jar Bar actually. I have yet to make it there but if it’s still open that is an option.

And someone, I believe she’s a vegan chef befriended me on Facebook, she sells Raw Vegan Dishes, here is a link to an event she’s having for Raw Vegan Platters. Again I have not tried her out but passing the info on in event you’d like to look into it http://www.facebook.com/events/568323746518519/

And for the record I’m truly sad to hear Jar Bar closed and at least glad I read it here rather than getting a craving for a slice of their raw chocolate mousse pie just to be disappointed that they are gone:( I hope they’ll be able to locate here again I know it seemed people gave them a hard time, may not be the reason for closing but it’s never a good thing to get negative comments about your business.

Courtney December 25, 2012 at 1:25 am

That’s awesome, DB! Would love to see a place in the heart of Philly that’s easy to walk into :)

Courtney December 25, 2012 at 1:25 am

That’s wonderful! How did it go? They’re so amazing!